my first turkey hunt. March/April 2007
beep.. beep...beep the alarm screamed. tanner came into my bedroom and shook my shoulders. "get up! GET UP!!" slowly I pulled the world into focus. ... what the heck was i doing at 4:30 AM??? oh yeah ...my first turkey hunt!!! I jumped out of bed and was hit with a steely force of cold air. burr!!! I threw on several layers of clothes and bounded down the stairs in 3 steps. now wide awake we start getting ready. a check list ran through my mind that was as long as if I was getting ready to go to a horse show! sweatshirts, wool socks, mugs of coffee, and hot coco, hats, hand warmers, coveralls, shot guns, decoys, calls, permits, we load it all into the old red suburban and cranked’er up. a few nights earlier we seen some turkeys roosting in a grove of trees, so we drive to that area, park the suburban about a 1/2 mile away. loaded down with all sorts of "gear" we walk into the grassy meadow. It was still completely dark but as best as could be done we set up an arrangement of decoys and walked 20 yards off to a few trees. Tanner went and sat about 5-10 yds away from me and I seated my self and tried to get as comfortable as I could sitting at the base of a tree. wide awake I started into the lessening darkness. ever so slowly light seeped into the world. and that is when it got interesting. since we walked in when it was completely dark I had no clue as to what my surroundings looked like. As I started to make out faint outlines of the landscape my mind quickly assessed my position. there was a little ridge about 5 feet in front of me. And something was moving… im positive something was crawling in front of me… stark fear grabbed me… I held my breath and watched… I was sure I had seen the back of a mountain lion pass through the grass… the wind rustled the tall brush, and sent chills down my back. My mind started imagining all sorts of crazy wild things. But I calmed my self down, and told myself to rationalize the situation.. It was just my imagination right???……..I hope!
“deep breaths Lakota” I kept reminding myself! I shifted my thinking towards the big tom I was hoping to get. As it got lighter I was able to make out 3 turkeys not far away! I was so excited! But a minute later embarrassment bombarded my excitement… those were our decoys. Man how stupid can I get? I made a mental note NOT to tell tanner about my “embarrassing moment” he would be sure to laugh his head off. And well… I definitely didn’t want to be the laughing stock for the next week!
Higher and higher the son rose into the beautiful crisp morning. And no sign of any turkeys. Finally tanner got up and it was time to pack up and head out. I was quite disappointed that I didn’t return with a long beard, spurs and fan of a big ol tom. But it had been… very interesting to say in the least! So definitely worth it in the end.
And that is the story of my very first turkey hunt.
today im going out turkey hunting again with Brandon and Taylor. really hope i get one! (2 days ago i about hit several of them with the truck and trailer!!! lol)
8 comments:
lol... you should see the tom and hens that are in our neighbor's pasture all the time! Maybe one day i'll get out there with a gun! lol
Thanks for following! :) Great to have you join the party over there!
I don't see how anyone could go through tornados alot! lol
*MeMoRy
And when was this???? It couldn't have been that long ago, because Tanner had his drivers license. I think.....maybe your dad drove you..=) Interesting story though. Don't ever remember hearing it. Maybe 'cause you were too embarrassed. =) =) The decoy turkeys and all. ☺
the date is at the top :D it was back in 2007 :) yeah i guess i havent told the story! lol idk why!!!
Hey!
Thanks for the comments on my blog!!
Yeah! We are alot alike. =D
Fun stort!!
~Katie
Sorry! =) that's me above! Signed in with my sister account! =)
And I ment "Fun story" but I guess I was zoomin' through and used a "t" ;D
Katie
love this.
wow.. hahahahaha. I miss you!!!!! Hope you're doing good and hope to get to writing you back soon!! love you
Whhoooo! That was a WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL story, Koda cowgirl!!!! And boy, you can write! You can write so well and I love your vocabulary!!
You made me laugh...mistaking the decoys for real turkeys is something I would totally do as well. Ha!
Just the same, that was a really, really fun hunt, and I'm SO glad you posted it on here!! There's nothin' like them times with the brothers!!
You know what? Your first turkey hunt happened in '07, and I just calculated that you were about 14 back then. Well, that was when I didn't even know you...and it wouldn't' be until that VERY fall, at Katrina's party, that I would meet you for the first time!!!!!!
~Lizzy the Patriot~
LOL! Does Tanner read your blog?! Because if so you're still going to hear this story being told for weeks.....if not to his grandchildren someday!!:-P LOL That's SUPER funny Lakota! I hope you get a turkey this time around....for your sake!:) Don't go mistaking any decoys and shooting at them!:-P Okay....I shouldn't say that because if it was me I proabably would have actually shot at the decoy!:-P LOL BTW....I love that you have to post your pictures for your other site on here! Keep it up because they're amazing! I was like, "Wow....Lakota took all these!" And then Anna said the same thing when she saw them and I said, "I know they're REALLY GOOD aren't they?!" To which Anna agreed!;) You have some AWESOME horse pics in the one post that I REALLY enjoyed looking at, and the picture of the girl kissing Fire is AMAZING! That's a photo contest winner right there sis!;)
Love Ya BUNCHES!
Bekah
P.S. CAN'T WAIT to see you Saturday!
Post a Comment