Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mountain Lion Close To Home

Several Days ago, Brandon and I took our horses out on a ride. we took a different route than normal, and after about 3 miles we decided to turn off the road and go through a field. we followed a creek, and tree line about half a mile or so off the road. and we came to a corner where 2 tree lines met. i seen something strange up in a tree so i road my horse closer to get a look. what i seen shocked me. it was a deer carcas that had been drug up into the tree and eaten. as my gaze droped... i seen many more carcases riped up and strewn around. along with shreaded deer hides, and other small animals. It was extreemly creepy. Brandon and I got the shivers and the goose bumps at the same time so we decided to pick up a canter and just get out of there. When we got back, my dad confirmed our conclusions. it was definitly where a mountain lion feasted. F.R.E.A.K.Y!!!!!!!!!!!! well... i decided i needed to get some pictures of the crime scene so we saddle up early in the morning and road down there again. this time on the way down there i found something else. cat terds. yep. so anyway i started getting pictures of everything. (i had my long lens on so i didnt have to get off sapphy.. but brandon got of grace and took the camera up a little ridge to get some other pictures. so im sitting on sapphire holding graces reins watching brandon... when all the sudden the horses jerk their heads up and look behind me. my stomach knotted up and i whiped my head around in time to catch a glimps of a mountain lion disapearing into some bushes. needless to say i started screeming at brandon, threw the reins to him and we high tailed it outta there. didnt even rein the horses in untill we were about 2 miles away! WOW. so thats the newest news around the pehrson place. heres some of the pictures that i got. oh one more thing i forgot to add. so ya seen the 2 keep out signs? well there were several others all over there. but theres a frequently used pickup trail back to the area. and did i mention that theres speratic trail camera boxes? yeah so our conclusion is that the game and parks is probably protecting them out there. :/ (because a couple of the signs had game and parks symbols on them) the game and parks probably picks up hit deer and stuff and dumps them out there. idk. but yeah :s kinda spooky! cant wait till i can open carry legally! just a few more days!!

6 comments:

Kels said...

Yikes!!! That is so scary!!!!!!! It's cool that you got pictures, but if I were you I would not be going back there. :/

I had a wonderful time talking with you on the phone. I hope we can do it again soon! xxxx~Kelsey

Melanie said...

I can't believe ya'll went BACK!!!! I would have been freaked! =s =s =s

Katrina said...

Wow Lakota, that's REALLY freaky!!! but man you sure got some GOOD pics, but sorry I'm saying this to you, but you guys were sooo stupid to go back :/ WHAT am I gonna do with you?? <3

Blythe said...

Yeah,thats pretty scary!!! Okay,that is really scary!

P.S. I actually didn't find your blog from Jess,but from Ashely at Farmgirl at home!

Anonymous said...

OH MY WORD SIS!!!!!!! That's freakin' crazy!!!!!! And I HATE to say this, but I agree w/ Katrina.....You were insanely stupid to go back to the place where you knew a mountain lion was "living" ON YOUR HORSES, without a gun!!!!! Sorry.....but I feel VERY STRONGLY about mountain lions....and these strong feelings aren't good feelings!!!:-P If that had been me going back on "my baby" without a gun would NOT have been happening!!!!!! I wouldn't have gone back unless I had big bro' with me and a gun in his hands and probably mine too!!!! However this IS a free country and so you're free to be stupid if that's your desire!!!!! LOL :-D Ok... I'm giving you a hard time by calling it "stupidness" but I STILL think it wasn't wise!!!:-) However I still love you, and I'm FREAKED out that you have a mountain lion living by your house!!! Next time I'm there I'll refuse to go outside in the dark without a loaded and trustworthy gun!!!!!!!:-P Well enough of my ranting!!!:-D Thanks for posting! I was hoping to see a picture of the big fellow! But I won't even suggest getting when as I have NO IDEA what measures you would take to try to get one!!!:-P Hope you get a good laugh but also glean some wisdom from my comment sis!!!;-)

Love ya BUNCHES!
Bekah

Lizzy the Patriot said...

Now I can finally comment!

Great post!! You dare devils! Ha-ha! I'm so glad horses are smarter then we are...they have 20 pairs of eyes don't they? When I ride Ranger, he can see SOOOO much that I can't see, smell, or even hear. He would get spooked if a mountain lion was a mile away, he has such high prey and flight instincts!
Sapphire and Grace knew what was up! Good girls!
And yes, that all sounded SO scary! I got off the internet and I truly skipped out to tell the boys the news right away!!! (Although, if a mountain Lion comes after you, you can't bolt away. You have to calmly back off, very quietly...and if that doesn't work, you actually have to chase them! I'm serious; check with Bear Grylls!)

Every year a mountain Lion hunts our aria. Our neighbor's horse was almost killed the last time, and the other time, a farmer's calf got shredded.

~Lizzy the Patriot~